Vision: To provide an opportunity for Saudi students to showcase their thesis, enhance their presentation skills and gain experience to participate in future similar competitions. Certain number of seats in the competition will be allocated for non-Saudi students in each city.
Target: A 3-minute competition where PhD candidates and research Master students shall professionally present a snapshot about their thesis in front of referees and non-specialist audience aiming at winning the competition.
Approach: A 3-minute unassisted speech where presenters shall talk without tech-support i.e. PowerPoint, sound effects, video…etc. The environment will be just like “Ted talk” where only one picture will display as a background with no scientific content.
Schedule: The competition will start in and run through September 2019. Saudi student clubs across Australia shall be responsible for organizing and supervising the competition’s sub-events in their respective cities.
Referees: Three academic referees from Australian higher education institutions shall act according to the following criteria:
- Time of speech shall not exceed 3 minutes. The presentation shall be in a clear language understandable to all levels of audience
- The presenter shall successfully satisfy relevant research components: methodology, approach, and conclusion
- The presenter shall clarify and explain any specialized terminologies
- The presenter shall manifest professional time management, finish within the allocated time, save referee’s interruption
- The presenter shall grab the audience attention and evoke their curiosity for his/her topic
- The presenter shall employ all their communication skills properly: eye contact, gestures, vocal tones, pace and confidence
Prizes: Final winners will receive their prizes at the closing ceremony which will be held in Canberra and announced later. Prizes for final winners are categorized as follows:
· Golden: $1000
· Platinum: $500
Local prizes are subject to availability; this shall be decided by each club individually.
For more information please click here to view the Event flyer.
For registration please click here.